If you are experiencing a problem installing your MicroSurvey product and have submitted a technical support ticket for assistance, your technical support representative may require an installation log that can be examined in order to debug the problem.
An install log can be created as follows:
- Right-click on the installation file for your MicroSurvey product, and select "Copy".
- Right-click on an empty spot on your Desktop, and select "Paste Shortcut" It should immediately appear and have a small arrow over the bottom-left corner of the icon, and will be named like "Shortcut to TheOriginalFileName.exe" (on Windows XP or older) or "TheOriginalFileName.exe - Shortcut" (on Windows Vista/7/8 or newer). If you see something different, try again and make sure you selected "Paste Shortcut" not just "Paste".
- Right-click on the new shortcut located on your Desktop, and select "Properties".
- In the dialog that appears, click on the "Shortcut" tab, click in the "Target:" field, and either press your "End" key or repeatedly press your Right-Arrow key to position your cursor after the very last character - usually it will end with either .exe or .exe" (ie, it may or may not have a closing quotation mark). After the very last character, add a space followed by /lv* log.txt like (space)(slash)(letter l)(letter v)(asterisk)(space)(letter l)(letter o)(letter g)(period)(letter t)(letter x)(letter t) then click OK.
- Double-click on the modified shortcut file on your Desktop to begin the installation.
- Follow any installation prompts as usual to install your MicroSurvey product, and click on all prompts or errors until the installation completely finishes (note: the installation will still be unsuccessful, this process in itself will not fix the error).
- A file called "log.txt" will be created in the location where the install file is located (Most common location is your downloads folder). Email it to the technical support representative you are working with, and he will examine it for additional information that may help determine the problem.
If you have any difficulty creating the install log as described above, your technical support representative will gladly provide further assistance with this process.