MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2012 (v12.0.0) - May 27, 2011
MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2012 SP1 (v12.1.0) - July 29, 2011
MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2013 (v13.0.0) - September 28, 2012
MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2013 SP1 (v13.0.1) - October 5, 2012
MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2014 (v14.0.0) - March 7, 2014
MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2015 (v15.0.1) - April 30, 2015
MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2017 (v17.0.0) - November 10, 2016
MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2018 (v18.0.0) - April 30, 2017
MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2018 SP1 (v18.1.0) - April 18, 2018
Activating or Updating your USB License Key
If you are licensing MicroSurvey embeddedCAD for the first time, you will need to activate your new USB License Key using the USB License Manager program on a computer with internet access.
If you are upgrading from a previous version of MicroSurvey embeddedCAD, you will need to update your existing USB License Key using the USB License Manager program on a computer with internet access.
A copy of the USB License Manager program is automatically installed with MicroSurvey embeddedCAD, or it can be downloaded from our online Helpdesk system and installed separately onto another computer which has internet access.
Please refer to the following topic for detailed instructions about activating or updating your key.
You might not be required to update your USB key to run certain MicroSurvey inCAD service pack updates. For a detailed explanation of MicroSurvey's Annual Maintenance Subscription (AMS) program, and how we use product version numbers and USB keys, you can can refer to the following online article.
If your Maintenance Subscription has not yet expired, you can use the USB License Manager to update your key to work with the most current version. You can confirm the expiry date for the AMS by going to the About screen found in the Help menu. Each USB License Key has its own maintenance subscription plan, so if you have multiple keys it is possible that they may each have a different expiry date.
If your AMS has expired, you can phone us at 1-800-668-3312 or 1-250-707-0000 to renew it. Without a current maintenance subscription plan, you will not be able to update your key to work with the new version.
MicroSurvey Transfer Program for FieldGenius Users
FieldGenius users need to install the MicroSurvey Transfer program to simplify the process of transferring FieldGenius projects between your data collector and MicroSurvey embeddedCAD.
If you have a copy of MicroSurvey Transfer already installed from use with a previous version of MicroSurvey CAD/inCAD/embeddedCAD, you may need to update it to recognize MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2018. Some previous versions of MicroSurvey Transfer will NOT show MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2018 as a sync option in the Options screen.
The MicroSurvey Transfer program has not changed since MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2013. This is only necessary for users who are setting up communications between FieldGenius (any version) and MicroSurvey embeddedCAD (2013 or newer) for the first time.
MicroSurvey Transfer can be downloaded from our online Helpdesk system.
Note: A copy of Microsoft ActiveSync (for Windows XP or earlier) or Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center (for Windows Vista or newer) must be installed before MicroSurvey Transfer can be installed. Both can be downloaded free from Microsoft or from the MicroSurvey helpdesk.
MicroSurvey License Server for Network License Users
Users who have purchased a network license will need to install a copy of the MicroSurvey Network License software.
If you have purchased a Network License and are setting it up for the first time, you can download the Network License Server application from our online Helpdesk system.
The MicroSurvey Network License Server program has not changed significantly since MicroSurvey CAD 2008. This is only necessary for users who are setting up a MicroSurvey CAD 2008 or newer network license for the first time.
Note: You will be required to enter a password in order to install the Network License Server.
MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2018 is compatible with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1, and 64-bit versions of Windows 10.
Further details are available here: AutoCAD 2018 System Requirements.
Windows 7, Windows 8.1 & Windows 10 Notes
Run as Administrator
You must run the program at least once elevated with "Run as admininstrator" access, even if you are already logged in with an "Administrator" account on the computer.
After this is done, it can be run by any user on the computer, including those who don't have administrative accounts.
To accomplish this, once the program is finished installing do the following:
- Right click on one of the MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2018 icons.
- Select "Run as administrator".
- Select "Yes" on the "User Account Control" dialog when prompted to allow the program to make changes to your computer.
What's This? Help
If you wish to use the "What's This? Help" feature, you may need to download and install an update from Microsoft. Please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information.
Please note that the main Help files will work without this update.
For a current version of this document, please visit the MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2018 Release Notes topic in our online helpdesk.
For a list of known issues please visit the MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2018 Known Issues topic in our online helpdesk.
For over 16 hours of training movies that you can watch online or download for offline viewing, please visit the Training Movies topic in our online helpdesk.
MicroSurvey provides free 24x7 self-support to all users via our online helpdesk at helpdesk.microsurvey.com where you can find knowledgebase articles, downloads, and a troubleshooter. This is a good starting point for any problems that are now answered in your Help file and Manuals.
For technical support, please visit our helpdesk at helpdesk.microsurvey.com to submit a helpdesk ticket to our technical support staff. If you do not have internet access you can phone our office at 1-800-668-3312 or 1-250-707-0000 and a ticket can be entered for you.
Technical Support is provided free of charge for 90-days following the purchase of your MicroSurvey product. Following this introductory period, additional technical support is available via your Annual Maintenance Subscription (AMS).
To purchase or renew your AMS, please phone MicroSurvey Software at 1-800-668-3312 or 1-250-707-0000 or visit our online store at store.microsurveysales.com.
Feature Request Forum
Help us make your MicroSurvey product better! To submit a feature request, or to vote on other users' feature requests, please visit our Feedback Forum at feedback.microsurvey.com.
To discuss your MicroSurvey product with other users, please visit our User Forum at www.microsurvey.com/forum.
MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2018 (v18.0.0) Notes
- Latest Autodesk® engine — AutoCAD® OEM 2018
- MicroSurvey embeddedCAD is powered by Autodesk Technology™.
- Autodesk AutoCAD OEM 2018 engine provides maximum compatibility with AutoCAD software and DWG™ files.
- Ribbon Interface
- A Ribbon interface has been provided for all MicroSurvey commands, including new high-resolution icons.
- [D7949] CAD Lines Dialog - The Proportioning command causes an "Invalid option keyword" error message.
- [D7729] CAD Lines Dialog - The Traverse command causes an "Invalid point, Select Starting Point" error message.
- [D8406] Layout Viewports - Layout viewport scale could change unexpectedly when zooming or panning in paper space.
- [D8405] Layout Viewports - Maximizing a layout viewport by double-clicking on its border could cause the program to terminate unexpectedly.
- [D8258] Leica iCON - The command to export a Leica iCON project would not start.
- [D8188] Licensing - A 30-day demo reset may not be successful in certain scenarios.
- [D8401] Line Coding - SDRMap JP (Join Previous) codes cause the program to terminate unexpectedly.
- [D8178] Text Tool - The Edit Text command on the MS Text Tools cause an "Unknown command DDEDIT" error message.
MicroSurvey embeddedCAD 2018 SP1 (v18.1.0) Notes
- Smart Point Blocks
- Points can now be drawn as either a point node and text labels (as in previous versions) or as a point block that combines these elements into one object.
- Labels within the point block can be edited (position and rotation) with automatic leaders connecting from the labels back to the point node.
- Smart Polylines
- Polylines, LWPolylines, and 3DPolylines can now be "smart" such that they will automatically update when points they connect are edited or deleted.
- The following commands are now capable of creating Smart Polylines in your drawing: AutoMAP Library, Auto-Add Points to Objects, Bearing/Distance Auto-Labels, 3D Curve, FieldGenius Import, Leica DBX Import.
- The new "CAD Polylines Dialog" can be used to quickly access pertinent details about any polylines in your drawing.
- Angular Units
- Specify an angular unit for each drawing, including Degrees-Minutes-Seconds (as in previous versions), Decimal Degrees, or Gons/Gradians.
- The specified angular unit setting will be used for all input/output throughout the program.
- Attach Imagery (Bing Maps)
- Instantly download and attach imagery from Bing® Maps as a raster image file.
- Specify the area of interest by Point ID, Current View, Lat/Long, or Street Address.
- Specify the image type (Aerial, Road or Hybrid), coverage area, and resolution.
- Align the imagery to either georeferenced or local point coordinates.
- To use this command, please contact MicroSurvey. A license for the Bing Maps module will be provided to interested users at no cost.
- Shapefile Import
- Import Esri Shapefile data into your drawing, with optional positional and/or attribute filters to control and limit exactly which features to import from often very large data sets.
- Import various GIS data formats including Esri Shapefiles (*.shp and others), GPS Exchange Format (*.gpx), Google Earth KML/KMZ (*.kml,*.kmz) and GeoJSON (*.geojson,*.json).
- Remap the attribute names to your own custom names so data sets from multiple independent sources can be correlated and processed together with single queries.
- Modify the filters or attribute mappings of any imported data on-the-fly, without having to re-import anything if you want to change the import parameters.
- Point features (like control monuments or landmarks) can be drawn as simple CAD nodes or imported into your points database, and the Point ID, Description, and/or elevation can be populated by attribute values.
- Polyline features (like roads or rivers) can be drawn as polylines or imported into your polylines database. For example: rivers, roads, or property lines.
- Polygon features (like lakes or lots) can be drawn as boundary hatches, with the boundary polyline optionally being imported into your polylines database.
- Attributes can be viewed for any imported data, or queries can be run for mining specific attribute data from the Shapefiles.
- JobXML Import
- Import Trimble® and Spectra Precision® JobXML data files including point coordinates, GPS coordinates, and total station measurements.
- 3D Point Labels
- A new "3D Point Labels" system toggle lets you draw point labels either in 2D at z=0 (default, as previous) or at each point node's 3D elevation.
- The previous "2D Draw Mode" system toggle was renamed to "2D Point Nodes" to clarify the difference between these two options.
- [D7882] AutoMAP - Renaming an AutoMAP Description to blank removes it from the list and causes the program to terminate unexpectedly when it is processed.
- [D8252] AutoMAP - The AutoMap Editor window may appear empty when opened via the Job Defaults screen.
- [D8702] Database - The Paste Special command did not strip xdata from the copied objects, which could potentially result in various problems due to the drawing and database being out-of-sync.
- [D8698] Database - The Remove Line/Bearing/Distance from Database commands did not strip xdata from the removed objects, which could potentially result in various problems due to the drawing and database being out-of-sync.
- [D2392] Database - The Break and Trim commands, when used to break a section out of a smart line, did not strip xdata from all of the resulting lines, which could potentially result in various problems due to the drawing and database being out-of-sync.
- [D7963] Database - Using a dropbox folder or some network environments would cause various error messages including "Codebase Error" and "Critical Error 10000".
- [D8690] Database - Losing connection to a network drive would cause various error messages including "Codebase Error" and "Critical Error 10000".
- [D7526] Database - The line connectivity information is not correctly undone when undoing the Renumber Points command, which could cause error messages referring to the new point numbers.
- [D7910] Display - After running the Build Library command to create a new house, the Open and Save As commands use commandline prompts instead of browse dialogs to select a filename.
- [D8703] Linework - Encountering a point error when exporting linework to KML/KMZ would abort the entire export, now any valid objects are still exported.
- [D8714] Linework - A typo in an error message of the 2D_3D and 3D_2D commands has been corrected.
- [D8208] Lisp - A typo in the names of the (get_input_scale_factor) and (set_input_scale_factor) commands has been corrected.
- [D3304] Points - The Transfer Points Between Jobs command was not reliable, it would sometimes fail and incorrectly report that the specified point(s) does not exist.
- [D8276] Points - The Transfer Points Between Jobs command displayed garbled text in the default file name when browsing for a database file.
- [D6830] Points - The Single Point Editor did not increment the next point ID correctly after storing a point with a large point ID.
- [D8032] Points - The Single Point Editor did not use the last stored point's description as the default for new points.
- [D8769] Points - The Coordinate System Search command does not find any systems matching the specified position.
- [D7993] Roading - The Inverse to Alignment command produced an incorrect error message when it could not find a vertical profile in the drawing.
- [D7894] Tables - The Line Table and Curve Table commands do not highlight selected lines/arc.
- [D7892] Tables - The Line Table, Coordinate Table, Curve Table, Multities Table commands are very slow to draw the grid lines.
- [D7867] Text - Selecting a text to move in the Slide Text command can cause the Edit Text dialog to appear and an error message "SDS Error in function: sds_draggen".
- [D8073] Text - The Drawing Cleanup Wizard may cause the program to terminate unexpectedly when using the Delete Empty Text option.
- [D8388] Traverse - Recoordinating a traverse does not update the coordinates displayed in the Active Coordinate Editor.
- [D8134] Traverse - Exporting an RW5 file may cause the program to terminate unexpectedly in certain conditions.
- [D8930] AutoMAP Library - processing linework may connect the points out of sequence when drawing polylines
- [D9005] AutoMAP Library - Reprocessing AutoMAP Library while the Active Coordinate Editor causes the grid to reload after each figure is drawn
- [D8798] CAD Editing - Moving a selection set including "off line" labels does not move the labels
- [D8799] CAD Editing - Moving a large selection set of objects can have a significant delay
- [D8815] CAD Editing - Moving points while the Active Coordinate Editor is open can be slow when moving <50 points
- [D8797] CAD Editing - The Copy Between Drawings command could cause the objects from a previous copy to be copied into the drawing
- [D8801] CAD Editing - The Copy Between Drawings command could any selected IPN labels to disappear from the source drawing
- [D8843] CAD Editing - Entities selected for the CAD Lines/Curves dialogs and Single Point Editor were not unselected when the dialog was closed
- [D8824] Database Access - Opening, Closing, or Switching drawings while the Active Coordinate Editor is open could cause Codebase Error messages
- [D8749] Leica DBX - Polylines imported from a DBX file are created with color White instead of ByLayer
- [D8805] Line Tables - Line/Multities Tables, labels are positioned using the distance scale factor which can put them far away from the actual line
- [D8819] Point Blocks - Various problems when using point block labels with leaders
- [D9012] Point Protection - When storing a point without changing its position, the warning that the point was moved by less than point protection tolerance is no longer displayed
- [D8810] Roading / Surface Modeling - Extracting cross sections from an alignment should plot the cross sections for multiple surfaces in the same grid
- [D8751] Subdivision Design - Auto Lot Design crashes if the specified setback distance is greater than the lot depth
- [D8811] Subdivision Design - When drawing a Lot Table, selecting a polyline causes the program to get locked into state that cannot be cancelled
- [D8468] Symbol Librarian - Editing text within a symbol doesn't work correctly
- [D8654] CAD Editing - Changing the layer or color properties of a smart point via the Properties Panel causes the program to terminate unexpectedly
- [D8890] CAD Editing - the PDFSHX sysvar was not available
- [D8937] CAD Editing - Changing the layer of points via the Change Selection Layer command in the Active Coordinate Editor can cause the program to terminate unexpectedly if the selection contains a large number of points
- [D8959] CAD Editing - Changing the layer or color properties of a smart line via the Properties Panel, Properties Toolbar or Layer Toolbar removes the line and its bearing/distance labels from the database
- [D9030] CAD Editing - Moving a text object via drag-and-drop within the drawing causes a MicroSurvey Autosave to occur
- [D8570] Drawing Files - New drawings created from the Project Manager default to DWG 2010 format instead of the defined default
- [D8802] Drawing Files - Opening some drawings can cause an "Serious Error! Unable to register MicroSurvey in drawing" error
- [D9049] Drawing Files - Saving a drawing containing custom objects to an older format can cause the program to terminate unexpectedly
- [D8569] License Manager - The "License Manager" button on the Licensing Options dialog does not work
- [D8606] Line Labels - Prefix and Suffix values defined in the Distance Labeling Defaults are not added to the distance labels
- [D9041] Points - Running inCAD under Map 3D or Civil 3D, the program can terminate unexpectedly when editing points via the Single Point Editor or the Active Coordinate Editor
- [D8445] Surface Modeling - Extract Cross Sections Across Full Surface causes "Invalid type in acutBuildList() arg #17" error messages and the sections are drawn outside of the grid
- [D9250] Surface Modeling - The Draw Legend option in the Surface Color Settings does not draw the colored boxes corresponding to each numeric range
- [T2116] User Interface - the desktop icon has been updated to help differentiate 2018 from previous versions
- [D8899] User Interface - the Show Traverse Graphically button was missing from the MsTraverse ribbon
- [D9095] User Interface - the MicroSurvey System Defaults button was missing from the MsTools ribbon
- [D9249] User Interface - the Scale One Text Size to Another button did not run the correct command
- [D8629] User Interface - the Active Drawing Technology windows did not maintain their previous size and position when the program is re-started