MicroSurvey inCAD 2020 Release Notes
MicroSurvey inCAD 2020 (v20.0.9) - November 29, 2019
Activating or Updating your USB License Key
If you are licensing MicroSurvey inCAD for the first time, you will need to activate your new USB License Key using the USB License Manager program on a computer with internet access.
If you are upgrading from a previous version of MicroSurvey inCAD (2015-2019), you will need to update your existing USB License Key using the USB License Manager program on a computer with internet access.
If you are upgrading from a previous version of MicroSurvey inCAD (2010-2014), you will need to update your existing USB License Key using the USB License Manager program on a computer with internet access. Please note that due to licensing changes between inCAD 2010-2014 (which used a MicroSurvey CAD license) and inCAD 2015-2017 (which uses a MicroSurvey inCAD license), you will need to contact MicroSurvey Software at 1-800-668-3312 or 1-250-707-0000 to switch your key from MicroSurvey CAD to MicroSurvey inCAD - this will be done at no cost if you have a current maintenance subscription.
If you are upgrading from a previous version of MicroSurvey inCAD (2006 or earlier), you will need to activate your new USB License Key using the USB License Manager program on a computer with internet access.
A copy of the USB License Manager program is automatically installed with MicroSurvey inCAD, or it can be downloaded from our online Helpdesk system and installed separately onto another computer which has internet access.
Please refer to the following topic for detailed instructions about activating or updating your key.
You might not be required to update your USB key to run certain MicroSurvey inCAD service pack updates. For a detailed explanation of MicroSurvey's Annual Maintenance Subscription (AMS) program, and how we use product version numbers and USB keys, you can can refer to the following online article.
If your Maintenance Subscription has not yet expired, you can use the USB License Manager to update your key to work with the most current version. You can confirm the expiry date for the AMS by going to the About screen found in the Help menu. Each USB License Key has its own maintenance subscription plan, so if you have multiple keys it is possible that they may each have a different expiry date.
If your AMS has expired, you can phone us at 1-800-668-3312 or 1-250-707-0000 to renew it. Without a current maintenance subscription plan, you will not be able to update your key to work with the new version.
MicroSurvey Transfer Program for FieldGenius Users
FieldGenius users need to install the MicroSurvey Transfer program to simplify the process of transferring FieldGenius projects between your data collector and MicroSurvey inCAD.
If you have a copy of MicroSurvey Transfer already installed from use with a previous version of MicroSurvey inCAD, you may need to update it to recognize MicroSurvey inCAD 2020. Some previous versions of MicroSurvey Transfer will not show MicroSurvey inCAD 2020 as a sync option in the Options screen.
The MicroSurvey Transfer program has not changed since MicroSurvey inCAD 2014. Updating it is only necessary for users who are setting up communications between FieldGenius (any version) and MicroSurvey inCAD (2014 or newer) for the first time.
MicroSurvey Transfer can be downloaded from our online Helpdesk system.
Note: A copy of Microsoft ActiveSync (for Windows XP or earlier) or Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center (for Windows Vista or newer) must be installed before MicroSurvey Transfer can be installed. Both can be downloaded free from Microsoft or from the MicroSurvey helpdesk.
MicroSurvey License Server for Network License Users
Users who have purchased a network license will need to install a copy of the MicroSurvey Network License software.
If you have purchased a Network License and are setting it up for the first time, you can download the Network License Server application from our online Helpdesk system.
The MicroSurvey Network License Server program has not changed significantly since the release of MicroSurvey CAD 2008. This is only necessary for users who are setting up a MicroSurvey CAD/inCAD/embeddedCAD 2008 or newer network license for the first time.
Note: You will be required to enter a password in order to install the Network License Server.
MicroSurvey inCAD 2020 is compatible with 64-bit versions of AutoCAD® 2020 (including AutoCAD 2020, AutoCAD Civil 3D 2020 and AutoCAD Map 3D 2020), and does not have any requirements above and beyond what is required by your AutoCAD software.
AutoCAD 2020 requires Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. Further details are available here: AutoCAD 2020 System Requirements.
Windows 7, Windows 8.1 & Windows 10 Notes
Run as Administrator
You must run the program at least once elevated with "Run as administrator" access, even if you are already logged in with an "Administrator" account on the computer.
After this is done, it can be run by any user on the computer, including those who don't have administrative accounts.
To accomplish this, once the program is finished installing do the following:
- Right click on one of the MicroSurvey inCAD 2020 icons.
- Select "Run as administrator".
- Select "Yes" on the "User Account Control" dialog when prompted to allow the program to make changes to your computer.
What's This? Help
If you wish to use the "What's This? Help" feature, you may need to download and install an update from Microsoft. Please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information.
This update and its associated functionality is only available for Windows 7 and 8.1, it is not available for Windows 10.
Please note that the main Help files will work without this update.
For a current version of this document, please visit the MicroSurvey inCAD 2020 Release Notes topic in our online helpdesk.
For a list of known issues please visit the MicroSurvey inCAD 2020 Known Issues topic in our online helpdesk.
For over 16 hours of training movies that you can watch online or download for offline viewing, please visit the Training Movies topic in our online helpdesk.
MicroSurvey provides free 24x7 self-support to all users via our online helpdesk at helpdesk.microsurvey.com where you can find knowledgebase articles, downloads, and a troubleshooter. This is a good starting point for any problems that are now answered in your Help file and Manuals.
For technical support, please visit our helpdesk at helpdesk.microsurvey.com to submit a helpdesk ticket to our technical support staff. If you do not have internet access you can phone our office at 1-800-668-3312 or 1-250-707-0000 and a ticket can be entered for you.
Technical Support is provided free of charge for 90-days following the purchase of your MicroSurvey product. Following this introductory period, additional technical support is available via your Annual Maintenance Subscription (AMS).
To purchase or renew your AMS, please phone MicroSurvey Software at 1-800-668-3312 or 1-250-707-0000 or visit our online store at store.microsurveysales.com.
Feature Request Forum
Help us make your MicroSurvey product better! To submit a feature request, or to vote on other users' feature requests, please visit our Feedback Forum at feedback.microsurvey.com.
To discuss your MicroSurvey product with other users, please visit our User Forum at www.microsurvey.com/forum.
MicroSurvey inCAD 2020 Notes
- AutoCAD® 2020 Support
- MicroSurvey inCAD 2020 supports Autodesk® AutoCAD® 2020 products, including 64-bit English versions of AutoCAD 2020, AutoCAD Civil 3D™ 2020, and AutoCAD Map 3D™ 2020.
- Smart Point Blocks
- Points can now be drawn as either a point node and text labels (as in previous versions) or as a point block that combines these elements into one object.
- Labels within the point block can be edited (position and rotation) with automatic leaders connecting from the labels back to the point node.
- Smart Polylines
- Polylines, LWPolylines, and 3DPolylines can now be "smart" such that they will automatically update when points they connect are edited or deleted.
- The following commands are now capable of creating Smart Polylines in your drawing: AutoMAP Library, Auto-Add Points to Objects, Bearing/Distance Auto-Labels, 3D Curve, FieldGenius Import, Leica DBX Import.
- The new "CAD Polylines Dialog" can be used to quickly access pertinent details about any polylines in your drawing.
- Angular Units
- Specify an angular unit for each drawing, including Degrees-Minutes-Seconds (as in previous versions), Decimal Degrees, or Gons/Gradians.
- The specified angular unit setting will be used for all input/output throughout the program.
- Attach Imagery (Bing Maps)
- Instantly download and attach imagery from Bing® Maps as a raster image file.
- Specify the area of interest by Point ID, Current View, Lat/Long, or Street Address.
- Specify the image type (Aerial, Road or Hybrid), coverage area, and resolution.
- Align the imagery to either georeferenced or local point coordinates.
- To use this command, please contact MicroSurvey. A license for the Bing Maps module will be provided to interested users at no cost.
- Shapefile Import
- Import Esri Shapefile data into your drawing, with optional positional and/or attribute filters to control and limit exactly which features to import from often very large data sets.
- Import various GIS data formats including Esri Shapefiles (*.shp and others), GPS Exchange Format (*.gpx), Google Earth KML/KMZ (*.kml,*.kmz) and GeoJSON (*.geojson,*.json).
- Remap the attribute names to your own custom names so data sets from multiple independent sources can be correlated and processed together with single queries.
- Modify the filters or attribute mappings of any imported data on-the-fly, without having to re-import anything if you want to change the import parameters.
- Point features (like control monuments or landmarks) can be drawn as simple CAD nodes or imported into your points database, and the Point ID, Description, and/or elevation can be populated by attribute values.
- Polyline features (like roads or rivers) can be drawn as polylines or imported into your polylines database, and the elevation can be populated by attribute values.
- Polygon features (like lakes or lots) can be drawn as boundary hatches, with the boundary polyline optionally being imported into your polylines database.
- Attributes can be viewed for any imported data, or queries can be run for mining specific attribute data from the Shapefiles.
- JobXML Import
- Import Trimble® and Spectra Precision® JobXML data files including point coordinates, GPS coordinates, and total station measurements.
- 3D Point Labels
- A new "3D Point Labels" system toggle lets you draw point labels either in 2D at z=0 (default, as previous) or at each point node's 3D elevation.
- The previous "2D Draw Mode" system toggle was renamed to "2D Point Nodes" to clarify the difference between these two options.
- Drawing Compare
- The new Drawing Compare command, recently introduced in AutoCAD 2019, is now available with inCAD for AutoCAD 2020.
- Use Drawing Compare to easily identify differences between two drawings, import differences from one to the other, or export differences to another drawing file.
- Smart Point Blocks
- Leaders now size appropriately based on your Job Defaults (unit and drawing scale).
- Labeling Defaults have been added to control the leroy size, layer, color, and dimension style of the leaders.
- LandXML Export
- Exporting Plan Features now includes Smart Polylines from your database.
- Google Earth KML Export
- Exporting linework now includes Smart Polylines from your database.
- Coordinate System Engine
- The CS-Map coordinate system engine has been upgraded and includes over 125 new coordinate systems.
- Areas with the most additions include Africa (Namibia and Morocco), Asia (Korea and Malaysia), Australia/New Zealand (GDA2020 systems), Europe (Several zones), and US OCRS systems.
- A common package is now shared by MicroSurvey CAD, STAR*NET and FieldGenius so future changes made by MicroSurvey for one product can be efficiently integrated into the other.
- Note, certain geoid models and grid shift files must be downloaded separately from the MicroSurvey Helpdesk or applicable government agency.
- [D7882] AutoMAP - Renaming an AutoMAP Description to blank removes it from the list and causes the program to terminate unexpectedly when it is processed.
- [D8252] AutoMAP - The AutoMap Editor window may appear empty when opened via the Job Defaults screen.
- [D8702] Database - The Paste Special command did not strip xdata from the copied objects, which could potentially result in various problems due to the drawing and database being out-of-sync.
- [D8698] Database - The Remove Line/Bearing/Distance from Database commands did not strip xdata from the removed objects, which could potentially result in various problems due to the drawing and database being out-of-sync.
- [D2392] Database - The Break and Trim commands, when used to break a section out of a smart line, did not strip xdata from all of the resulting lines, which could potentially result in various problems due to the drawing and database being out-of-sync.
- [D7963] Database - Using a dropbox folder or some network environments would cause various error messages including "Codebase Error" and "Critical Error 10000".
- [D8690] Database - Losing connection to a network drive would cause various error messages including "Codebase Error" and "Critical Error 10000".
- [D7526] Database - The line connectivity information is not correctly undone when undoing the Renumber Points command, which could cause error messages referring to the new point numbers.
- [D7910] Display - After running the Build Library command to create a new house, the Open and Save As commands use commandline prompts instead of browse dialogs to select a filename.
- [D8703] Linework - Encountering a point error when exporting linework to KML/KMZ would abort the entire export, now any valid objects are still exported.
- [D8714] Linework - A typo in an error message of the 2D_3D and 3D_2D commands has been corrected.
- [D8208] Lisp - A typo in the names of the (get_input_scale_factor) and (set_input_scale_factor) commands has been corrected.
- [D3304] Points - The Transfer Points Between Jobs command was not reliable, it would sometimes fail and incorrectly report that the specified point(s) does not exist.
- [D8276] Points - The Transfer Points Between Jobs command displayed garbled text in the default file name when browsing for a database file.
- [D6830] Points - The Single Point Editor did not increment the next point ID correctly after storing a point with a large point ID.
- [D8032] Points - The Single Point Editor did not use the last stored point's description as the default for new points.
- [D8769] Points - The Coordinate System Search command does not find any systems matching the specified position.
- [D7993] Roading - The Inverse to Alignment command produced an incorrect error message when it could not find a vertical profile in the drawing.
- [D7894] Tables - The Line Table and Curve Table commands do not highlight selected lines/arc.
- [D7892] Tables - The Line Table, Coordinate Table, Curve Table, Multities Table commands are very slow to draw the grid lines.
- [D7867] Text - Selecting a text to move in the Slide Text command can cause the Edit Text dialog to appear and an error message "SDS Error in function: sds_draggen".
- [D8073] Text - The Drawing Cleanup Wizard may cause the program to terminate unexpectedly when using the Delete Empty Text option.
- [D8388] Traverse - Recoordinating a traverse does not update the coordinates displayed in the Active Coordinate Editor.
- [D8134] Traverse - Exporting an RW5 file may cause the program to terminate unexpectedly in certain conditions.
- [D8930] AutoMAP Library - processing linework may connect the points out of sequence when drawing polylines
- [D9005] AutoMAP Library - Reprocessing AutoMAP Library while the Active Coordinate Editor causes the grid to reload after each figure is drawn
- [D8798] CAD Editing - Moving a selection set including "off line" labels does not move the labels
- [D8799] CAD Editing - Moving a large selection set of objects can have a significant delay
- [D8815] CAD Editing - Moving points while the Active Coordinate Editor is open can be slow when moving <50 points
- [D8797] CAD Editing - The Copy Between Drawings command could cause the objects from a previous copy to be copied into the drawing
- [D8801] CAD Editing - The Copy Between Drawings command could any selected IPN labels to disappear from the source drawing
- [D8843] CAD Editing - Entities selected for the CAD Lines/Curves dialogs and Single Point Editor were not unselected when the dialog was closed
- [D8824] Database Access - Opening, Closing, or Switching drawings while the Active Coordinate Editor is open could cause Codebase Error messages
- [D8749] Leica DBX - Polylines imported from a DBX file are created with color White instead of ByLayer
- [D8805] Line Tables - Line/Multities Tables, labels are positioned using the distance scale factor which can put them far away from the actual line
- [D8819] Point Blocks - Various problems when using point block labels with leaders
- [D9012] Point Protection - When storing a point without changing its position, the warning that the point was moved by less than point protection tolerance is no longer displayed
- [D8810] Roading / Surface Modeling - Extracting cross sections from an alignment should plot the cross sections for multiple surfaces in the same grid
- [D8751] Subdivision Design - Auto Lot Design crashes if the specified setback distance is greater than the lot depth
- [D8811] Subdivision Design - When drawing a Lot Table, selecting a polyline causes the program to get locked into state that cannot be cancelled
- [D8468] Symbol Librarian - Editing text within a symbol doesn't work correctly
- [D8654] CAD Editing - Changing the layer or color properties of a smart point via the Properties Panel causes the program to terminate unexpectedly
- [D8937] CAD Editing - Changing the layer of points via the Change Selection Layer command in the Active Coordinate Editor can cause the program to terminate unexpectedly if the selection contains a large number of points
- [D8959] CAD Editing - Changing the layer or color properties of a smart line via the Properties Panel, Properties Toolbar or Layer Toolbar removes the line and its bearing/distance labels from the database
- [D9030] CAD Editing - Moving a text object via drag-and-drop within the drawing causes a MicroSurvey Autosave to occur
- [D8802] Drawing Files - Opening some drawings can cause an "Serious Error! Unable to register MicroSurvey in drawing" error
- [D9049] Drawing Files - Saving a drawing containing custom objects to an older format can cause the program to terminate unexpectedly
- [D8569] License Manager - The "License Manager" button on the Licensing Options dialog does not work
- [D8606] Line Labels - Prefix and Suffix values defined in the Distance Labeling Defaults are not added to the distance labels
- [D9041] Points - Running inCAD under Map 3D or Civil 3D, the program can terminate unexpectedly when editing points via the Single Point Editor or the Active Coordinate Editor
- [D8445] Surface Modeling - Extract Cross Sections Across Full Surface causes "Invalid type in acutBuildList() arg #17" error messages and the sections are drawn outside of the grid
- [T2116] User Interface - the desktop icon has been updated to help differentiate 2018 from previous versions
- [D8899] User Interface - the Show Traverse Graphically button was missing from the MsTraverse ribbon
- [D8629] User Interface - the Active Drawing Technology windows did not maintain their previous size and position when the program is re-started
- [D9351] ASCII Import - Importing a point with a very long description results in an unhandled exception.
- [D9636] LandXML Import - Drawing surface models as a polyface mesh fails to show the surface TIN until the drawing is regenerated.
- [D9640] LandXML Import - Drawing surface models as a polyface mesh results in an invalid AcDbPolyFaceMesh Entry object SEQEND.
- [D9739] LandXML Export - Writing a LandXML file may inconsistently result in an unhandled exception.
- [D7911] Legacy Drawings - Opening old drawings with an .msd database file may result in an "SO: Opening DB - error" message.
- [D9713] Legacy Drawings - Opening old drawings with an .msd database file may result in an unhandled exception.
- [D9751] Points - Locking or Unlocking a point in the Single Point Editor without making any other change does not apply the new state.
- [D9681] Points - Moving Point Block Labels with a Leader does not display the leader until you re-open the drawing.
- [D7147] LANDXML - When exporting a LandXML with smart entities and a surface, there is no checkbox to remove smart entities from export
- [D8868] CURVE TABLE - Reference numbers in curve table are drawn upside down
- [D8953] ASCII EXPORT - Exporting plotted description from AutoMAP generates random or no description
- [D9068] LABELS - Labelling Bearing/Distance on Polyline does not work if "AutoAdd Database" system toggle is off
- [D9508] LABELS - Auto-Arrows on line do not work if "AutoAdd Database" system toggle is off
- [D9511] STABILITY - Using ATTACH_IMAGERY with no coordinate system may cause a crash
- [D9593] IPN - Points recovered by MSAUDIT do not display IPN labels until drawing is saved and reopened
- [D9595] AUTOMAP - Selecting "Process AutoMAP Connections" through the assistant causes errors
- [D9599] AUTOMAP - Point descriptions beginning with "IP" are automatically set to the "IPN_INTERNAL" layer when "Scan Database" is used, rather than a layer named according to the description
- [D9600] AUTOMAP - Processing AutoMAP Library with 2D/3D polylines results in linework created with current linetype rather than linetype specified in AutoMAP
- [D9623] IPN - Cancelling an IPN color change changes the label to White/Black
- [D9719] COGO - South Azimuth angles are interpreted as North Azimuth angles
- [D9719] ASCII IMPORT - Importing a Lat/Long/height (LLh) CSV into an imperial project imports elevation values as metric
- [D9745] LABELS - Label Curve does not use the Reference North toggle
- [D9787] LOTS AND BLOCKS - "Pick Sides" method crashes if you select a 3D Polyline
- [D9797] LABELS - The Auto Split Bearings command clears all running snaps, and doesn’t restore them when the command ends
- [D9815] LINE TABLE - Turning the "Auto Add Database" toggle off causes an incomplete line table to be inserted
- [D9828] TRAVERSE - Manual traverse entry via dialog applies the wrong angle if "True Azimuth Surveying" is turned on
- [D9862] LABELS - Labelling Alignment Offsets creates incorrect offsets
- [D9922] ASCII IMPORT - Importing a LLh CSV with both VRT systems set to ELLIPSOIDAL imports incorrect elevations in imperial project
- [D9923] ASCII IMPORT - Importing a LLh CSV with COGO VRT system set to geoid imports incorrect elevations in imperial project
- [D9930] ASCII IMPORT - Importing a LLh CSV with "Store in DB" turned off imports incorrect coordinates in imperial project
- [D9937] ASCII IMPORT - Column-specific LLh import into imperial project imports incorrect elevations
- [D9938] ASCII IMPORT - Column-specific LLh import settings reset once coordinate system is selected
- [D9940] ASCII IMPORT - Column-specific NEZ import into imperial project with geoid applied imports incorrect elevation
- [D9941] ASCII IMPORT - Grid CSV import with two ellipsoidal systems to imperial project imports incorrect elevation
- [D9942] ASCII EXPORT - Column-specific LLh export with no geoid in imperial project exports incorrect elevation
- [D9943] ASCII EXPORT - Column-specific LLh export VRT system settings are set by LLh CSV export settings
- [D9944] ASCII EXPORT - Grid CSV export default location is the C: drive
- [D9970] ASCII IMPORT - Geoid occasionally not applied
- [D9834] SOUTH AZIMUTH - Default vertical angle wrong in manual traverse entry
- [D9834] SOUTH AZIMUTH -Default vertical angle wrong in manual traverse entry
- [D9892] INSYM - Some North Arrows being inserted at the wrong scale
- [D9953] LEGAL DESC WRITER - Not writing description to DWG after completion
- [D09281] AutoMAP Library - After deleting the last code from the current library the program may terminate unexpectedly or generate an error message.
- [D10291] AutoMAP Library - After creating a New Library the previously displayed block preview is not cleared.
- [F03968] Assistant - The Assistant is now turned off by default. It can still be accessed via the Assistant command.
- [D10314] Export ASCII - Exporting an ASCII file with a Coordinate Transformation set can cause incorrect unit scaling.
- [D10354] Import DBX - Importing a DBX project while the Active Coordinate Editor is open can cause unexpected error messages.
- [T02361] Installer - The Uninstall Survey questionnaire is now suppressed when installing an upgrade.
- [D09393] Labeling - The Rescale Complete Drawing command can crash if any applicable layers are locked.
- [D10266] Labeling - The Bearing Seconds Rounding option set to 60 can cause unexpected results, for example 203°59'45" rounds to 203°60' not 204°00'
- [D10293] Labeling - Line labels can be inappropriately removed from the database and marked with XX ... XX around the label.
- [F00952] Lot Closure - When deleting a lot closure, the corresponding report file "lc_name.txt" is now also deleted.
- [D10275] Lot Closure - The Lot Closure Report now honours the "List E,N (X,Y) Format" system toggle.