10.0.0 - January 11, 2010
10.0.1 - May 7, 2010
10.1.0 - August 27, 2010
10.2.0 - October 19, 2010
If you are licensing PointCloud CAD for the first time, or if you are upgrading from MicroSurvey CAD 2005 or previous, you will need to activate your new USB License Key using the USB License Manager program on a computer with internet access.
If you are upgrading from MicroSurvey CAD 2008 or 2009, you will need to update your existing USB License Key using the USB License Manager program on a computer with internet access.
A copy of the USB License Manager program is automatically installed with PointCloud CAD 2010, or it can be installed separately onto another computer from your PointCloud CAD 2010 installation disc or downloaded from our online Helpdesk system.
Please refer to the following topic for detailed instructions about activating or updating your key.
You might not be required to update your USB key to run certain MicroSurvey CAD Service Pack updates. For a detailed explanation of MicroSurvey's Maintenance Subscription Support Plan (MSSP) program, and how we use product version numbers and USB keys, you can can refer to the following online article.
If your Maintenance Subscription has not yet expired, you can use the USB License Manager to update your key to work with the most current version. You can confirm the expiry date for the MSSP by going to the About screen found in the Help menu. Each USB License Key has its own maintenance subscription plan, so if you have multiple keys it is possible that they may each have a different expiry date. If your MSSP has expired, you can phone us at 1-800-668-3312 to renew it. Without a current maintenance subscription plan, you will not be able to update your key to work with the new version.
MicroSurvey Transfer Program for FieldGenius Users
FieldGenius users need to download a copy of the MicroSurvey Transfer program to simplify the process of transferring FieldGenius projects between your data collector and PointCloud CAD 2010.
If you have a copy of MicroSurvey Transfer already installed for use with MicroSurvey CAD 2010 or older, you will need to update it to recognize PointCloud CAD 2010. Previous versions of MicroSurvey Transfer will NOT show PointCloud CAD 2010 as a sync option in the Options screen.
MicroSurvey Transfer can be installed from your PointCloud CAD 2010 installation disc or downloaded from our online Helpdesk system.
Note: A copy of Microsoft ActiveSync (for Windows XP or earlier) or Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center (for Windows Vista) must be installed before MicroSurvey Transfer can be installed. Both can be downloaded free from Microsoft.
MicroSurvey License Server for Network License Users
Users who have purchased a network license will need to install a copy of the MicroSurvey Network License software. The MicroSurvey Network License Server program has not changed since MicroSurvey CAD 2008 8.0.0. This is only necessary for users who are setting up a MicroSurvey CAD 2008 or newer network license for the first time.
If you have purchased a Network License and are setting it up for the first time, you can download the Network License Server application from our online Helpdesk system.
Note: You will be required to enter a password in order to install the Network License Server.
PointCloud CAD 2010 is compatible with Microsoft Windows XP SP3, Microsoft Windows Vista SP1, and Microsoft Windows 7.
PointCloud CAD 2010 does not have any hardware requirements above and beyond what is required by your version of Microsoft Windows, except for a compatible video card for the 3D Rendering engine. Please refer to the following webpage for a list of compatible video cards, as indicated under the "OGL" column:
Windows Vista / Windows 7 Users
Windows Vista/7: Run as Administrator Once
If installing on Windows Vista you must run the program with "Elevated Admininstrator" enabled the first time PointCloud CAD 2010 is run, even if you are already logged in with "Administrator" access on the computer. Once this is done once, MicroSurvey CAD can be run by any user on the computer, including those who don't have administrative accounts.
To accomplish this, once the program is finished installing do the following:
Windows Vista/7: What's This? Help
- Right click on the PointCloud CAD 2010 icon.
- Choose "Run as Administrator"
- Open or create a new drawing.
If you wish to use the PointCloud CAD "What's This? Help" feature under Windows Vista/7, you will need to download and install an update from Microsoft. Please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information.
Please note, that the main PointCloud CAD Help file will work without this update.
Frequently Asked Questions
For a list of Frequently Asked Questions and Tips for New Users, please visit the PointCloud CAD 2010 F.A.Q. & Tips topic in our online helpdesk.
For a list of known issues please visit the PointCloud CAD 2010 Known Issues topic in our online helpdesk.
Initial release, no notes to report.
This release uses the latest Hoops engine (18.2) for greater performance and stability. Many reported bugs have been resolved.
||Closing PCLW doesn't release lock on file?
||PointCloud CAD crashes when closing application while a point cloud is open
||Animation - Reload Current Drawing gives weird error if anim file hasn't been saved
||Lock fields that can't be changed when Profile Slice is enabled
||US Feet toggle not honoured or saved with 'Set these defaults as Permanent', etc.
||Crash with video generation and over sampleing.
||Point Splat causes issues on some video cards
||PCI Units not correct when opening files
||Rubberband Lines in PointCloud don't always work
||Out of Memory errors in PointCloud when working with larger clouds
||Crash storing points in pclw while point protection dialog is up in cad.
||Snap Shot from Anim window with PointCloud crashes
||Optimized Symbols don't always appear correctly in the anim player
||Some blocks don't animate in Capture in PointCloud
||Render and Animation Player windows - can't set target with pin off
||Surface doesn't match points in Animation window when cloud is non UTM
||Manipulator controls seem to be off slightly when hovering mouse making it easy to select wrong control
||You can draw a line/polyline if only one vertex has been selected and this causes issues in the DWG file
||Handles for Cutting Cube are different from Refence Plane Handles
||Out of Memory Error - When switching between point clouds it seems to cause this error to be more frequent
||Warning Dialog for Unitless files (las and pct) should have an info icon not the stop error icon
||PointCloud crashes on close once the PCLW command has been run once
||Reloading a point cloud can cause the focus to switch to the cad window
||Click button on toolbox keeps the hour glass icon displayed until mouse is moved.
||Input validation needed on numeric only fields in toolboxes for profile and cutting cubes
||When grip editing temp linework, often the first vertex gets moved instead of the selected vertex
||Cancel Animation doesn't clear culling planes
||Cutting Frustum not accurate on wide screen display
||Animation Generation - Band on right side of generated video on some video cards
||Reload Points for color change will make focus switch to cad window
||When creating cross section with the profile slice, only linework contained inside the slice will be visible.
||Multiple files can be converted to PCI format at the same time. A PCG file is now automatically created which contains links to the the converted files.
||Point snapping is smarter now and will always snap to the closest point facing the camera
||Default orientation for profile slices is now set to vertical
||When setting up a reference plane, the "Select Points" button will now turn on the reference plane visibility.
- Point Cloud Linework: Automatic Road Line Extraction
- Automatically extract linework from your point cloud by picking two points along a painted line
- Choose between drawing a single line down the middle, or two parallel lines along the edges
- Point Cloud Linework: Draw 3D Curves
- Draw 3D Curves in the point cloud (3D Polylines with interpolated vertices) by picking points on the curve. Toggle between straight, curvey, and 3-point arc segments while drawing complex 3D linework.
- Point Cloud Linework: Highest/Lowest/Nearest Snap Modes
- When snapping to points in the point cloud, you can now snap to the highest, lowest, or nearest point within a specified snap tolerance distance. This is useful for selecting points along the top of curb, bottom of curb, etc
- AutoCAD 2010/2011 DWG/DXF Support
- PointCloud CAD can now automatically convert and open 2010 DWG/DXF drawing files, then Save them as R12-2007 DWG/DXF format.
- Or, use the standalone IntelliConvert conversion utility to manually convert R12-2010 DWG/DXF files.
- 3D Curves
- Draw new 3D Curves (3D Polylines with interpolated vertices) by picking points on the curve. Toggle between straight, curvey, and 3-point arc segments while drawing complex 3D linework.
- New command: _3DCURVE (MsTools | Draw 3D Curve)
- Convert existing 3D Polylines with straight segments to 3D Curves.
- New command: _3DPOLY_TO_3DCURVE (MsTools | Convert 3D Polyline to 3D Curve)
- Active Coordinate Editor - When running the Change Selection Layer command, the four checkboxes for Point, Elevation, Description, Point Number are now unchecked by default, to prevent accidently changing their layers.
- AutoMap Library - You can now automatically draw an Ellipse, Double Ellipse, or Rectangle around your Point ID labels, this is important for Alberta Land Surveyors.
- AutoMap Library - You can now specify X and Y offset distances for the Description, Point ID, and Elevation labels in the AutoMAP Library, this will help with spacing out the labels for Design and Stake points, etc.
- AutoMap Library - You can now process a point range (pt..pt) in addition to the previous method of processing all connections
- AutoMap Library - A Save prompt has been added when pressing the "New Library" button, to avoid accidental data loss while customizing your Automap Library if you accidentally click "New Library" instead of "New".
- Locked Points - The "Protected" column in the Active Coordinate Editor is now relabeled as "Locked" to avoid confusion between it and the global Point Protection feature.
- Locked Points - A "Locked Point" checkbox is now available in the Store & Edit Points dialog, which corresponds to the "Locked" (formerly "Protected") option in the Active Coordinate Editor.
- MS Backup - A save prompt has been added at the start of the MSBACKUP command, because it will copy the most recently saved drawing. Previously, you had to manually Save before Backup.
- Project Manager - A "Browse For Drawing" function has been added to the Project Manager, which uses a standard Windows file browser dialog to select your drawing file.
- Translated Help Files - Help files can now be translated on-the-fly and read in 31 different languages. (An internet connection is required, high-speed recommended.)
- Traverse Re-coordination - A "Do not replace descriptions with field values" option has been added, this will prevent point descriptions in your database from changing when a traverse file is recoordinated.
- Updated IntelliCAD Engine - The IntelliCAD 6.6 CAD engine has been updated to the latest version for improved performance and stability.
- Updated Rendering Engine - The HOOPS 3D rendering engine has been updated to the latest version for improved rendering performance and stability.
- MicroSurvey Fixes
-  Curvey Leaders - When using the Curvey Leader command, the drawing screen may flicker or disappear requiring you to close and reopen the drawing
-  Leica GSI Import - A crash could occur due to the GSI file being improperly formatted, an error message now appears instead
-  Lot Closures - The "pick" buttons for selecting bearing/azimuth labels when defining a lot closure did not work if the degrees sign was %%D instead of %%d
-  Menu Stability - When exiting and restarting the program, some of the menus could disappear if the profile was still being written out on exit while being read in on startup
-  Pad Builder - The dialog was not displaying properly, options appeared to be scattered around
-  Pad Builder - Entering values in feet & inches would produce an error message that the fraction was not formatted correctly
-  Read-Only Files - When a drawing that is In Use is opened by a second user in Read-Only mode, the database is no longer opened for the read-only copy which prevents changes to the read-only copy from corrupting the live copy.
-  Rescale Complete Drawing - A crash could occur if the drawing was missing certain extended entity data on entities referenced in the database
-  Speed/Performance - If Active Coordinate Editor was open, if Hot Toggles was open, or if IPN Labels were on there was a major slowdown issue when storing/editing points for example when performing an RTS calculation, Locking/Unlocking Points, importing an ASCII file, or importing a FieldGenius project
-  Surface Modeling - A crash could occur when extracting cross sections, if the surface name contained a space
-  Surface Modeling - A crash could occur when removing points from DTM via the Active Coordinate Editor, if the drawing contains a layer called dont_use_me
-  Surface Modeling - The "Enable Range" contour configuration option checkbox behaviour was backwards, making it confusing to set the Minimum and Maximum values
-  Surface Modeling - The "Densify Step Size" extraction option had a display issue making the Auto vs Size options confusing to select
-  Surface Modeling - A crash could occur when importing a surface from an XML file containing data in an unrecognized format
- [xxxx] Various broken Help buttons throughout the program have been corrected
- [xxxx] Various spelling errors throughout the program have been corrected
- IntelliCAD Fixes
-  A crash can occur when zooming/panning with the mouse while the program is under stress
-  A crash can occur when an sds_entget command is run on an SORTENTSTABLE entity (for example, this occurs after undoing a draworder command)
-  A crash can occur while moving entities
-  Audit/Recover - does not reset the count of objects audited, so the entity count ends up being multiplied in subsequent audits
-  Audit/Recover - auditing a corrupted drawing containing specific errors can cause it to lose layouts
-  Blocks - A crash can occur when using the "Previous" selection set after exploding a block
-  Blocks - A crash can occur when Unloading and Reloading an Xref
-  Blocks - Blocks with "Uniform" scale option do not display correctly when mirrored
-  Blocks - Blocks with a negative extrusion vector (3d rotation) cannot be moved using Grips
-  Blocks - A crash can occur when selecting Unnamed blocks for COPYCLIP and WBLOCK commands
-  Blocks - A crash can occur while purging anonymous blocks
-  Dimensions - Angular Dimensions can temporarily display incorrectly while moving via grips, for example showing 89°59'60.0" instead of 90°00'00.0"
-  Dimensions - DIMLIN and DIMALI Dimensions do not allow you to use entity snaps for the second point
-  Dimensions - AutoCAD MLEADER Multileader entities do not display
-  Display - REDRAW / REGEN difference in layout tab on attached drawing
-  Display - mouse cursor can disappear in certain situations
-  Entity Properties - A message "The parameter is incorrect" will pop up when selecting the Layers list on the Entity Properties toolbar, if entities from multiple layers are currently selected
-  Entity Properties - When changing color of a polyline through the Color list on the Entity Properties toolbar, too many entities can change color
-  Entity Selection - Window Polygon selection method selects all of the inserts in the drawing
-  File I/O - After printing, printer settings can bog down saving of drawings
-  File I/O - Cannot open any files where the filename contains a % character
-  File I/O - Attached drawing has trouble saving
-  File I/O - 2010 DWG/DXF IntelliConvert utility implemented for converting 2010 DWG drawings to 2007 DWG
-  File I/O - 2010 DWG/DXF automatic file conversion method implemented on opening drawings
-  Hatching - Associative Hatch Patterns are unassociated if the boundary is grip edited
-  Hatching - Hatch Pattern previews do not display in Windows x64 (or anytime the installation folder contains parentheses)
-  Hatching - Color SLD files are displayed as Black and White
-  Lisp - "command" command loses precision of numeric arguments being passed in
-  Lisp - A crash can occur when unloading a custom application
-  Lisp - "command" command is not correctly cancelled by escape
-  Lisp - Pasting a multiline Lisp expression into the commandline to run it does not work
-  Lisp - Entities on a locked/frozen layer can be erased via Lisp
-  Lisp - Corrupted pointer passed to SDS_CBCMDEND callback when a command results in changing the current drawing
-  Lisp - Function could improperly terminate if offset is called with an empty selection set
-  Printing - Print Window selection does not allow you to use entity snaps for the second corner
-  Printing - After printing, printer settings can bog down saving of drawings
-  Printing - Print Window area does not cut off entities at the selected window edge
-  Printing - Print Area option does not work if "Save changes to Layout" is not turned on
-  Printing - Ricoh/NRG/Nashuatec printers can cause the program to crash on print
-  Printing - Ricoh/NRG/Nashuatec printers can cause the program to crash on save
-  Printing - Print settings are not properly saved into layouts
-  Printing - When using "Print upside down" option from layout space, model space entities may not appear through viewport
-  Printing - After printing, entities are displayed using the printed color from .CTB print style table file until a REGEN is run
-  Printing - Specified paper tray is not remembered
-  Printing - Standard print scales are not saved properly
-  Raster Images - A crash can occur when clipping image if an invalid option is specified
-  Snaps - Entity snaps do not work properly for PFACE entities within a block, if UCS is not World
-  Snaps - Apparent Intersection entity snap does not work for extended intersections
-  Snaps - Polar Tracking interferes with window selection
-  Snaps - Polar tracking is turned off after temporary using ORTHO snap with SHIFT key
-  Text - changing Justification property of multiple text entities causes their insertion points to change to 0,0,0
-  Text - MTEXT containing negative indentation does not display correctly
-  Text - Text containing Russian fonts display the last character incorrectly
-  User Profiles - A crash can occur when using custom menu commands with an invalid reference
-  User Profiles - When running multiple instances of the program each with a different current profile, the profiles can contaminate each other in the registry
-  User Profiles - Custom menus containing a very large number of commands with many toolbars and submenus do not work, picking the commands at the bottom of the menu may not do anything
-  Viewports - layout space viewports can be automatically activated
-  Viewports - -LAYER Freeze command in a layout viewport causes the layer to be Frozen in All Viewports not just the Current Viewport
-  Point Cloud AutoMap Library - when specifying the point description to use with the "Store Points" option enabled, descriptions are now displayed directly from the Automap Library.
-  PCLW 3D Spline - A toolbox has been added for the 3D Spline tool, improving its usability.
-  Point Cloud 3D Spline - when "Store Points" is turned on, only the picked points are now stored, and not the intermediate vertices calculated on the curve.
-  Point Cloud 3D Spline - now starts in Line mode instead of Spline mode.
-  Point Cloud 3D Spline - User-defined vertex spacing setting is now persistent.
-  Point Cloud 3D Spline - A floating toolbar for 3D Spline tool has been added.
-  Point Cloud Slices and Reference Planes - a "Set Origin to Target" button is not available for Slices and Reference Planes, like with Cutting Cubes.
- MicroSurvey Fixes
-  Active Coordinate Editor - drawings last saved in MicroSurvey CAD 2008 v8.0.0 would not display any point coordinates in the Active Coordinate Editor.
-  Active Coordinate Editor - A crash could occur if the length of the filename plus the point id was very long.
-  Animation - When opening an animation (*.ani) file, there was no way to browse into another folder.
-  AutoMap Library - after selecting the "Skip XYZ Connection" option, a "Blank Description Codes(XYZ-._)?" prompt would appear anyways.
-  Batch COGO - Batch cogo fails on a distance-distance intersection with alphanumeric point IDs.
-  Batch COGO - Batch cogo fails on a distance-distance intersection with alphanumeric point IDs.
-  File I/O - A crash could occur when opening a drawing from a folder with write access denied.
-  File I/O - A crash could occur when opening then saving a drawing file that is read-only.
-  PCI Conversion Utility - FARO Converter was not processing all files.
-  PCI Conversion Utility - LAS 1.1 files may not process correctly.
-  Point Cloud 3D Spline - Shortcut options were case sensitive and did not work intuitively, this has been improved.
-  Point Cloud 3D Spline - A crash could occur when using snaps with the 3D Spline tool.
-  Point Cloud Automatic Paint Line Extraction - toolbox settings were not saved with the project.
-  Point Cloud Automatic Paint Line Extraction - buttons for both the Line tool and the Automatic Paint Line Extraction tool could both appear to be enabled.
-  Point Cloud Automatic Paint Line Extraction - an error message "The given line width (0.00000) is too small, it must be >= 0.01" could appear even with an appropriate line width set.
-  Point Cloud Automatic Paint Line Extraction - did not honour the Live vs Temporary Drawing Mode option, it always drew to Temporary space.
-  Point Cloud Automatic Paint Line Extraction - option to draw extracted linework at a user-defined elevation was missing.
-  Point Cloud File I/O - Opening some LAS 1.0 files could result in a crash.
-  Point Cloud Interface - PCLW window does not appear when opened if it was previously positioned on a second monitor which is no longer present.
-  Point Cloud Interface - an error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" could occur when closing and reopening a point cloud.
-  Point Cloud Interface - Some marker shapes did not appear for all graphics cards, so points and/or grips may not appear.
-  Point Cloud Snapping - Highest and Lowest snap modes did not honour cutting cubes, could snap to a point outside the cube.
-  Point Cloud Snapping - Default search radius was previously 0.0, it is now 0.1
-  Point Cloud Snapping - Point Search options can become permanently disabled.
-  Point Cloud Store Points - Line and Arc tools did not check for existing end points when storing points.
-  Point Cloud Store Points - Next point ID did not update immediately after accepting linework.
-  Point Cloud Surface Modeling - TIN Visualize option may not visualize the entire surface model
-  Point Cloud Surface Modeling - Non-English Regional Settings which use a comma as a decimal marker caused errors in parsing coordinates, like "1000,00,1000,00,100,00" instead of "1000.00,1000.00,100.00".
-  Project Units - when opening a drawing with angular units set to Grads, or when creating a new drawing using a template in Grads, it was automatically being changed to DMS format instead.
-  Traverse Recoordination - When importing a RAW/RW5 file containing resections is missing an LS record this can result in erroneous point elevations, if an expected LS record is not found a warning message is now displayed.