March 3, 2008
Updating your USB License Key from 8.0.0 to 8.1.0
If you are currently using MapScenes 2008 8.0.0 with your USB License Key, you will need to update your key using the License Manager before your USB Key will work with the new 8.1.0 version. A key activated for MapScenes Pro 2008 8.0.0 will not work with MapScenes Pro 2008 8.1.0.
If your Maintenance Subscription has not yet expired, you can use the License Manager to update your key to work with the new version. We recommend installing and using the updated License Manager to do this, which can be installed from your MapScenes 2008 8.1.0 installation disc or downloaded from our online Helpdesk system.
If your Maintenance Subscription has expired, you can phone us at 1-800-668-3312 to renew it. Without a current maintenance subscription, you will not be able to update your key to work with the new version. You can confirm the expiry date for the maintenance plan by going to the About screen found in the Help menu.
Each USB License Key has its own maintenance subscription plan, so if you have multiple keys it is possible that they may have different expiry dates.
Please refer to the following topic for detailed information about updating your key.
MicroSurvey Transfer Program for Evidence Recorder Users
Evidence Recorder users need to download a copy of the MicroSurvey Transfer Program to simplify the process of transferring Evidence Recorder projects from your data collector into MapScenes 2008.
The MicroSurvey Transfer program has not changed between MapScenes 2008 8.0.0 and MapScenes 2008 8.1.0. This is only necessary for users who are setting up communications between Evidence Recorder (any version) and MapScenes 2008 for the first time.
MicroSurvey Transfer can be installed from your Evidence Recorder installation disc or downloaded from our online Helpdesk system.
A copy of Microsoft ActiveSync (for Windows XP or earlier) or Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center (for Windows Vista) must be installed before MicroSurvey Transfer can be installed. Both can be downloaded free from Microsoft¢‚¬„¢s website.
MicroSurvey License Server for Network License Users
Users who have purchased a network license will need to install a copy of the MicroSurvey Network License software. The MicroSurvey Network License Server program has not changed between MapScenes 2008 8.0.0 and MapScenes 2008 8.1.0. This is only necessary for users who are setting up a MapScenes 2008 network license for the first time.
If you have purchased a Network License and are setting it up for the first time, you can download the Network License Server application from our online Helpdesk system.
Note: You will be required to enter a password in order to install the Network License Server.
Windows Vista Users - Run as Administrator Once
If installing on Windows Vista you should run the program with "Elevated Admininstrator" enabled the first time MapScenes 2008 is run. Once this is done once, MapScenes can be run by any user on the computer, including those who don't have administrative accounts.
To accomplish this, once the program is finished installing do the following:
- Right click on the MapScenes 2008 icon.
- Choosed "Run as Administrator"
- Open or create a new scene.
Windows Vista Users - What's This Help
If you use the MapScenes "What's this Help" feature, you will need to download and install an update from Microsoft. Please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information.
Please note, that the main MapScenes Help file will work without this update.
For a list of known issues please visit the MapScenes 2008 Known Issues topic in our online helpdesk.
New Features (8.1.0)
- MapScenes Pro's advanced Rendering engine now supports placing photo background behind your scene.
- MapScenes Capture's advanced Rendering engine now supports placing photo background behind your animation.
- You can now optimize your large or high-resolution symbols for improved performance.
- When using a Network License, you can now connect multiple USB keys containing network licenses to one server (for example into a USB Hub) and the workstations will be able to pull licenses from any available key.
- When using a Network License, you can now enter a list of servers (seperated by a space, comma, or semicolon) and the MapScenes workstation will now scan through each of the servers in the list to get an available license from one of them.
- When using a Network License, you can now specify either a Computer Name or an IP Address to identify your License Server.
Important Improvements (8.1.0)
- Improved window size control of the 3D Viewer and Capture Player windows, so that images and videos exported at a particular resolution will exactly match what is previewed in the 3D Viewer or Capture Player windows.
- The "About MapScenes" screen has been improved to show additional information about your standalone or networked USB License Key.
- Searching within the Help file has been improved to show more topics.
- The License Manager application has been improved to be easier to use, and to provide more detailed feedback if a key can not be updated for any reason.
Important Fixes (8.1.0)
- MapScenes 2008 SP1 uses IntelliCAD¢‚¬„¢s newest release, IntelliCAD 6.4.
- Changes made to the Support Paths in Cad Tools | Options were not being retained, so any customizations would revert back to their default settings.
- A memory leak related to raster images was fixed. This would cause the amount of memory used by MapScenes to increase every time a drawing containing rasters was saved, leading to eventual slowdown and potential crashes due to a lack of available system resources.
- Drawings from MapScenes 2006 containing raster images would sometimes no longer display the raster image when loaded into MapScenes 2008 8.0.0.
- Drawings from MapScenes 2006 containing raster images would sometimes crash when printed or when a print preview was displayed.
- The DWF Export routine was not working correctly with the default installation setup.
- You can now use Print Selection when printing from the RTF Log File Viewer.
- Print offset does nothing. Entering any values in print offset doesn't affect print preview.
- When printing a drawing at 1 to 1 scale, the actual print would be larger than it should be on large prints.
- When running the non-capture Animation command on a computer that did not have any previous versions of MapScenes Pro installed, an error would come up and the AVI file could not be created.
- When running the Photo Insert command on a computer that did not have any previous versions of MapScenes Pro installed, an error would come up and the photo file could not be viewed.
- Some bounding box symbols inserted via the Vehicle Specs Database command would not insert correctly due to invalid characters in the name of the symbol.
- More than one instance of the RTF log file viewer could not be opened up at one time.
- In the Active Measurement Editor, defining the FG/TDS Record Filters was not working.
- When importing a RAW or RW5 file containing multisets, an incorrect instrument height could be used for the multiset.
- After editing a measurement file, opening a measurement file using the File | Open command in the Active Measurement Editor would display measurement files appended with ¢‚¬Å“_travtmp¢‚¬ in their names. These files are now being filtered out so they do not appear.
- If you have a measurement file open in the Active Measurement Editor, and at the same time manually enter measurement data into that measurement file using the dialog box option, errors or a crash could occur.
- When using the ¢‚¬Å“Transfer Points Between MapScenes Files¢‚¬ command, it needed to be run twice before the command would actually start.
- Exporting an ASCII file with the Column Specific format was not correctly exporting the point ID, due to changes that were made to allow for alpha-numeric point names.
- The RTF Log file for projects done in MapScenes 2008 8.0.0 could contain inconsistent page numbers in the header.
- When printing from the RTF Log file, some users reported that an extra blank page would be printed out before the first page or after the last page. This has been fixed.
- When printing from the RTF Log file, point columns would not line up due to point numbers with different number of digits. This has been fixed to allow a point number width of 5 digits; point id¢‚¬„¢s with more than 5 digits can still cause the columns to not line up.
- Some .MSD database files from MapScenes 2006 or previous were not being translated forward to the new .MSZ database format due to some missing .DEF files in the original database.
- Coordinate Listing reports contained a /par at the end of every line.
- In the Active Measurement Editor, if you use Ctrl-H to enter a new measurement, in previous versions the ID field for that new shot was given focus, but this was broken in 8.0.0 so that you had to manually click into the point ID field to begin entering the data.
- Process Automap Library, automatic linework was being drawn connecting the wrong point id¢‚¬„¢s. The point id¢‚¬„¢s were being sorted alphabetically instead of numerically, so if you had 22 points numbered 1-22 with the same description, they would be joined 1-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-2-20-21-22-3-4-5-6-7-8-9.
- When importing a RAW or RW5 file containing TR shots which were recorded in a multiset, these TR shots were imported as a regular occupy point setup, not as a traverse station.
- When connecting to a USB Network License key, if you normally connect to one server but it has run out of available licenses, if there are available licenses on another server, you could not previously get a license from the other server without manually editing a configuration file.